Comfort food and healthy don't always go together, but this vegetarian bibimbap is an exception. It's a lovely bowl of deliciousness filled with a rainbow of vegetables and prepared with brown rice in this case.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 20 mins
Total: 50 mins
Ingredients for Vegetarian Bibimbap:
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup carrot matchsticks
- 1 cup zucchini matchsticks
- 1/2 (14 ounces) can of bean sprouts, drained
- 6 ounces canned bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 (4.5 ounces) can of sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons sweet red chili sauce, or to taste
Instructions to prepare Vegetarian Bibimbap:
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat sesame oil; sauté and toss carrot and zucchini in hot oil until veggies soften, about 5 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, and mushrooms and mix well. Cook and stir for another 5 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Season with salt to taste and set aside the veggies.
In the same skillet, combine cooked rice, green onions, soy sauce, and black pepper until the rice is heated. Melt the butter in a separate skillet over medium heat and gently fry the eggs, flipping once, until the yolks are somewhat runny but the egg whites are firm, about 3 minutes per egg.
Divide the hot cooked rice mixture among three serving bowls and top each with a third of the vegetable combination and a fried egg. Serve the sweet red chili sauce on the side to combine with the bibimbap.