What does birria mean in tacos?
Originally cooked with goat meat, birria is a delicious traditional Mexican dish that may also be made with beef, veal, lamb, or hog. It can be used as a taco filler or as a stew. Birria means "exquisite savory cuisine, full of culture and tradition" in gastronomic terms.
What is Birria Tacos?
Birria is a traditional Mexican beef or goat stew that is extremely savory, spicy, and slow-cooked until the meat is succulent, fall-apart tender, and delicious. Someone had the brilliant idea to stuff this delicious meat into a taco shell, then toss it all in the stew and fry it. After that, these birria tacos went viral, and the rest is history.
What is different about Birria tacos?
Birria tacos are cooked with scrumptious Mexican stew and oaxaca cheese from Mexico. The tortillas are dipped in the stew's fat before being fried in a pan, which is the key to what makes birria tacos so amazing. After that, you dunk the tacos in the birria mixture.
Birria Tacos Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 3 hrs 30 mins
Assembly Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 4 hrs
Serving Size: 4
For the Birria De Rez:
- 1 lb. boneless chuck
- 1/2 pounds of short ribs or oxtail
- 1/2 teaspoon of oil (avocado or vegetable oil)
- Ancho chiles, 3 1/2 (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- 3 1/2 guajillo peppers (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- 1 1/2 chiles of the arrow (ends trimmed and de-seeded)
- White onion, 1/2 (peeled and halved)
- 3 cloves of garlic (peeled)
- 2 tomato
- Black peppercorns, 1/2 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano from Mexico
- One-half teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 0.13 teaspoons of crushed cloves
- 1/4 Mexican cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water or beef broth (divided)
- Cilantro, minced, 1/4 cup
- White onion, 1/(minced)
- lime juice from 1
- Kosher salt
- Corn Tortillas
- Cheese from Oaxaca, 1.5 ounces (or mozzarella)
- Set the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- As for the beef: In a big saucepan, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, ancho, New Mexico, and de arbol chiles, with beef broth. Place in a medium-high heat source and simmer gently. While you sear the steak, continue to simmer for another 12 to 14 minutes.
- In a big Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Chuck roast should be salted and peppered. The beef should be seared in two batches, each taking six minutes to brown evenly. Put the steak on a platter.
- The chile and tomato combination should be smoothened using an immersion blender.
- Scrape the pan to loosen any particles caught at the bottom before adding the blended sauce to the Dutch oven. Any liquids from the dish should be added to the pot along with the meat. Add the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, dried oregano, cumin, coriander, and apple cider vinegar. Simmer for a while, then cover and place in the oven. Cook for about 3 hours, or until the beef is quite soft.
- With two forks, transfer the steak to a basin and shred it. Place aside.
- For the tacos: Take a tortilla and dunk it in the warm braising liquid to assemble the tacos. On a griddle set over medium heat, place the tortilla; top with a few tablespoons of mozzarella and two to three heaping teaspoons of meat. Fold in half after adding some onion and cilantro. Add three more tortillas and repeat.
- On the griddle, cook the tacos for 30 to 45 seconds per side until they are crisp. Squeeze the lime juice over the dish after removal. Repetition and serving with the braising liquid on the side for dipping are required for the remaining tortillas.
Related Keywords: birria tacos recipe, birria tacos recipe easy, birria tacos near me, birria tacos recipe authentic, birria tacos ingredients, best birria tacos recipe