I don't think "Chatini" Pomme d'Amour (Tomato Salad) needs an introduction; it's been a popular accompaniment to Mauritian cuisine for a long time. It goes with almost every Mauritian dish. Some prefer it mild, while others prefer it spicy with lots of fresh herbs.
As many of you are aware, Mauritian cuisine is a fusion of flavors from various continents, and so is our "Chatini." The original Indian Chatni is typically made from a paste of uncooked fruit (such as mangoes, apples, and bananas), green chillies, green herbs and spices, vinegar, and sometimes sugar.
Ingredients for Tomato Salad:
Serves: 4 -6
- 4-5 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1-2 green chilli
- Fresh coriander or basil (finely or coarsely chopped)
- Olive oil
- 1 medium-size onion
- ½ Lime or lemon chopped
- Salt to taste
Preparation of Tomato Chutney:
1. Place the tomato flesh in a serving bowl and finely chop it.
2. Finely chop the chilli and the remaining ingredients.
3. Combine all of the ingredients. Drizzle with olive oil.
4. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with fresh coriander or basil, if using.
Serve the tomato chutney at room temperature with curry and rice dishes, Biryani, and other dishes.