Chicken Biryani is the epitome of a one-pot meal and one of the most royal delicacies that you can enjoy on any occasion or festival. No one can resist the aroma and flavor of this aromatic and delicious Chicken Biryani recipe.
Mauritian Chicken Biryani Recipe
If you have the same craving, don't worry because we have a super-easy biryani recipe for you. So, what are you holding out for? Try this delectable Chicken Biryani recipe and share it with your family and friends.
Prep Time: 30 Mins
Cook Time: 40 Mins
Servings: 4 People
- 500g onions
- 500g chicken
- 2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black cumin seeds
- 220g plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 60 ml single cream
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
For the rice:
- 315g long-grain basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp black cumin seeds
- 2 green cardamon pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 small piece stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads in 2 tbsp warm milk
- Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Put the rice and enough water to cover in a bowl and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Slice the onions finely.
- Cut the chicken into large cubes or according to your preferences.
- Heat some oil in a heavy-based saucepan or flameproof casserole over medium heat and fry the sliced onions, stirring occasionally. Add the black cumin seeds, garlic and ginger paste. Cook until the onions are dark brown and crisp.
- Add the chicken and continue stir-frying until all the pieces are slightly fried. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 250 ml water, the yogurt, salt, garam masala and bay leaf, then cover the pan again and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the meat is tender.
- When the meat is tender before all the liquid is absorbed, remove the meat pieces and cook the remaining mixture over high heat, stirring occasionally to evaporate excess water until a creamy consistency is obtained. Then return the meat in.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cream, crisp onions and chopped fresh coriander. Set aside.
- Drain the rice and heat some oil in another heavy-based pan or flameproof casserole over high heat and add the cumin seeds, cardamon pods, cloves and cinnamon.
- When the seeds splutter, add the drained rice, stirring to coat each grain in oil. Add in about 750 ml of water and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the grains are almost tender.
- Soak the saffron threads in the warm milk. About 30 minutes before you want to serve, set the oven to 150C.
- Put half the chicken mixture in the washed-out casserole or an ovenproof dish with a tight-fitting lid. Top with half the rice, then layer with the remaining chicken mixture and rice. Spoon the saffron and milk over the top. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Related Keywords: mauritian biryani spice mix recipe, mauritian biryani by shelina permalloo, mauritian lamb biryani recipe, mayil biryani recipe, mauritian biryani recipe in rice cooker, best biryani in mauritius, briyani or biryani, fadilah kitchen biryani recipe,