Okra (Lalo) is a highly nutritious vegetable with numerous beneficial health features, including a positive influence on blood sugar regulation and digestion, making it beneficial to both the gut and kidney in terms of digestion. Okra is also beneficial to the joints, minimizing stiffness and so aiding in the treatment of arthritis by keeping the joints lubricated.
Okra is a superfood with a high vitamin content, making it an excellent antioxidant for treating and preventing infections. This is a very brief nutritional value of the extremely unusual little vegetable known as lay's fingers because it is so beautiful. Because of their amazing health benefits, such delicate veggies should be taken as fresh as possible and with as little fuss as possible. I kept the preparation to a minimum in order to preserve the texture and flavor. Mauritian style at its finest.
Ingredients for Salad Lalo:
- Okra – Ladyfinger- Lalo
- 1 medium-size onion finely sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Olive Oil
- Pinch of sugar
Preparation of Okra Salad:
- Begin with making the vinaigrette: in a small mixing bowl, combine the chopped onion, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper and set aside to marinate. I usually make this ahead of time; the more time you have, the better your pickled onion marinade will be.
- Wash your ladyfingers, take off the ends, and set in a dish or microwave steamer with a drizzle of water and a pinch of salt. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, covered.
- Insert a sharp knife to see whether it's cooked; if it's mushy but still has a crunch, it's done.
- Drizzle with the marinated onion vinaigrette and give it a thorough spin in a serving dish. (Adding the vinaigrette to the heated okra aids in the absorption of marinade liquids.)
- Set aside until completely cool before serving.