Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala:
- 2 pounds (907 grams) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes
- 2/3 cup (170 grams) plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup (132 grams) yellow onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 ounces (358 grams) whole tomatoes or passata/pureed tomatoes (see note)
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
Preparation of Chicken Tikka Masala:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, garam masala, coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours after adding the raw chicken pieces. Remove from the refrigerator after 2 hours.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Combine the grated ginger, garlic, cumin, garam masala, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until the spices are well combined with the onion.
- Cook for a few seconds while stirring in the tomato paste. Stir in the chicken and yogurt that has been marinating. Mix in the milk and tomato sauce thoroughly.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the chicken is cooked and tender. Check the salt level and add more if necessary.
- With a side of naan bread, serve over basmati rice and garnished with cilantro.
Related Keywords: sukhi chicken tikka masala, is chicken tikka masala gluten free, frozen chicken tikka masala, defined dish chicken tikka masala, deep indian kitchen chicken tikka masala, curry stand chicken tikka masala, chicken vindaloo vs tikka masala, chicken korma vs tikka masala, chicken tikka masala nutrition, calories in chicken tikka masala, calories of chicken tikka masala