Easy homemade chicken fajitas are made with a tasty marinade and a rapid sear. It's a dinner with onions and bell peppers. This is a tried-and-true recipe that you may create at home!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
Chicken fajita marinade:
The marinade base consists of 5 ingredients. ONLY 5.
- Lime juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- Olive oil
- Chili (you can use crushed red pepper flakes or ground chili)
You can season to taste with salt and pepper, finely chopped cilantro, dry oregano, or whatever else you have on hand. SO MUCH IMPROVED OVER A DRY RUB! With the addition of lime juice, you can count on tender, juicy chicken.
Ingredients for Chicken Fajitas:
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground chili (adjust to your desired spice preference)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds (650 grams) chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 3 large bell peppers (or capsicums), cut into strips (I use green, red and yellow)
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded and sliced
Preparation for Chicken Croquette:
- Toss together lime juice, oil, garlic, cumin, salt, chile, and cilantro in a wide shallow bowl. Allow the chicken thighs to marinate for 30 minutes if time permits.
- Preheat a big skillet or pan (12-inch | 30cm) over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. Using a sprinkle of olive oil, lightly coat the pan's bottom. Sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown, blackened, and fully done (about 8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of your fillets). While they're cooking, flip them a number of times to get a good even char.
- Transfer the chicken to a warm platter and cover loosely with foil to rest.
- Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook until the onion is tender and the peppers are slightly scorched and cooked to your liking (drizzle with a little extra oil only if needed). Salt & pepper to taste.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips.
Warm tortillas, chopped cilantro, and sliced avocado are served on the side (plus your desired fillings).