This Biryani recipe consists of layers of basmati rice and a spicy mixture of cauliflower, yogurt, carrots, green beans, potatoes, and soybeans.
So, if you're planning a family gathering, a birthday celebration, or any other type of event, Biryani is undoubtedly one of the dishes to consider.
Let's see how to make the best vegetarian Biryani at home.
Serves: 4-5 Person
Preparation: 30 min
Cooking: 35 min
Ingredients for Veg Biryani:
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 4 cardamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 tablespoon biryani spices mix (easily available in grocery stores)
- 5 onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon orange food color
- 1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 5 potatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 large carrots, cut lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 cup soya
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups green beans, cut lengthwise
- Oil for frying
Instructions on how to prepare Veg Biryani:
Regarding the rice:
- Soak rice in water for 30 minutes after washing it.
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil, then add 4 cardamom pods, 2 cloves, and the cinnamon stick.
- Cook till the rice is 3/4 done with a little salt.
Regarding the vegetables:
- Season the carrots, green beans, cauliflower, and soya individually with salt.
- Add a pinch of food color to the potatoes while sprinkling with salt.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan first, then sauté the onions until they turn a light golden color, then remove and set aside.
- Then sauté the potatoes until they develop a light golden color, then remove and set aside.
- Similarly, cook the soya till it turns a light brown hue, then remove and set aside.
- Remove and set aside the cauliflower after frying it for 3-5 minutes.
- Cook the carrots in the same pan for 3-5 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Remove and set aside the green beans after frying them for 3-5 minutes.
In preparation for the final assembly:
- Combine all of the vegetables, including potatoes, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, and soya sauce, in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the ginger, garlic paste, yogurt, half of the fried onions, biryani spices, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Combine thoroughly.
- To build the biryani, use an oven-safe big utensil with a lid.
- 1 teaspoon ghee should be added to the bottom of the utensil.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon orange food coloring with some water.
- Begin with a layer of rice, then a layer of half of the mixed veggies, sprinkle with food coloring, and top with a little fried onion, peas, chopped coriander, and mint leaves.
- Finish with a layer of rice, peas, fried onions, food coloring, chopped coriander, and mint leaves.
- Fill the bowl that was previously used to combine the vegetables with water.
- Make some holes in the utensil with a spoon and pour some of the water through them.
- Cook for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 350°F with the lid on.
- To serve the biryani, remove the layers one at a time in a separate bowl and mix well, taking care not to mash the veggies.