Mauritian Recipes Chicken Curry
The spicy Mauritian Chicken Curry Recipe is one of the island's most popular dishes.
Have you ever asked a Mauritian what their MUST-DO meal is during a cyclone?
I bet that 3/4 of them will tell you about the legendary Mauritian Chicken Curry, not to mention the Homemade Farathas!:)
WHAT SHOULD YOU SERVE WITH THIS MAURITIAN CHICKEN CURRY?
I prefer to serve this with plain Basmati rice. It'd also go well with some faratas (Pharata). Personally, I recommend pairing this with an ice-cold Pepsi or Coca-Cola. It would be impolite not to!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 finely chopped curry leaves
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2cm ginger, grated
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 finely chopped green chili
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons Mauritius curry powder
- 600g skinless chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 large potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- To serve with basmati rice, sliced cucumber, fresh rotis, and satini pomme d'amour.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over low-medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the onion has softened, before adding the curry leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, chili, and thyme.
- In a bowl, combine the curry powder and a splash of water to produce a runny paste. Stir in the paste for about 30 seconds, or until it becomes aromatic. Maintaining low-medium heat to prevent the spices from burning, add the chicken pieces and stir to coat in the curry.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes, potatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt. Pour in enough water to cover the chicken and potatoes. Cook for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes and chicken are tender, then remove the cinnamon stick.
- To make the satini pomme d'amour, combine all of the ingredients in a mixing dish. Divide the curry among the bowls and top with the coriander leaves and red onion. Serve with the satini pomme d'amour, fluffy basmati rice, cucumber slices, and rotis.
Related Keywords: mauritian curry powder recipe, mauritian fish curry recipe, traditional mauritian food recipes, easy mauritian food recipes, where to buy mauritian curry powder, mauritian chicken daube, curry recipes, creole chicken curry, mauritian chicken curry recipe without coconut