Chicken Pulao Mauritian Recipe
Chicken Pulao is a one-pot dish made with bone-in chicken chunks, rice, onions, tomatoes, and spices.
It contains all of the tastes of chicken biryani but is easier and faster to prepare. Chicken pulao is an excellent meal for fast weeknight dinners.
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
RESTING TIME: 15 mins
TOTAL TIME: 45 mins
- 2 cup Basmati rice
To Marinate the Chicken
- 1 pound bone-in, skinless chicken breast (500 g, cut into 1 and 1/2 inch slices) If using boneless chicken, chop it into 1-inch chunks.)
- 1 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons red chili powder from Kashmir
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tbsp. chopped mint leaves
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped (fresh coriander leaves)
For the Pulao
- 3 tbsp ghee (or cooking oil)
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamoms, whole
- 1 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic-ginger paste
- 3-4 green peppers (slit into half)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely sliced tomatoes
1. Soak the rice
- Rinse the rice 2-3 times with water until the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice for 20 minutes in 5-6 cups of water.
- Marinate the chicken first.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, yogurt, ginger garlic paste, Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt, mint, and cilantro, and mix well with your fingers.
- Allow for a 30-minute resting period.
2. Prepare the Chicken
- On the 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot, press the SAUTE button.
- Pour in the ghee.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon, and black cardamoms to the heated ghee and cook for 4-5 seconds.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions are slightly caramelized (6-8 minutes).
- Fry for 3-4 minutes with the ginger-garlic paste. Stir on a regular basis.
- Now add the green chiles and tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the chicken and marinate well.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes with the cover on, stirring at regular intervals.
3. Prepare the Pulao
- Drain the rice and combine it with the lime juice, salt, and 1 and 34 cups of water in the instant pot. To blend, carefully stir everything together.
- Close the instant pot cover and hit PRESSURE COOK.
- Set your timer for 6 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally relax for 10 minutes after the timer goes off.
- Manually release the remaining pressure and open the pot's cover.
- Using a big spoon, fluff the chicken pulao.
- Serve hot with raita and garnished with fried onions, cilantro, and mint.
Related Keywords: mauritian pulao recipe, mauritian pilau recipe, mauritian pao recipe, chicken pulao recipe food fusion, easy chicken pulao recipe, boneless chicken pulao recipe, white chicken pulao recipe, parsi chicken pulao recipe, easy chicken pulao recipe, degi chicken pulao recipe, yakhni chicken pulao recipe, chicken keema pulao recipe, chicken yakhni pulao recipe food fusion, chicken white pulao recipe, chicken berry pulao recipe