How to prepare the tastiest Rougaille (Rugai)
Everyone in Mauritius enjoys the traditional Mauritian dish known as rougaille or rougail. Essentially, it is a tomato-based dish, but the spices employed give it extraordinarily rich flavors. Since this recipe has been handed down through the generations, there are many different spice combinations that can be used, including onions, garlic, ginger, thyme, chilies, cilantro, coriander, spring onions, curry leaves, etc. The key is to truly make your rougaille recipe your own by modifying it.
How to prepare the Mauritian Rougaille
- 2 Chillies, cut into lengthwise
- Half onion finely chopped
- 5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste
- Over medium heat, soften the onion and crushed garlic in oil in a large saucepan.
- To simmer, add chopped tomatoes, chilies, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a further 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring regularly and crushing tomatoes as you do so.
- Serve with coriander chutney and dhal puri.
Did you enjoy the dish?
Share this on social media and with your friends, please.
We apologize if you did not find this content useful.
Let us improve this post!
How can we make this post better? Please comment below. Thank you!
Related Keywords: tomato rougaille, rougaille ingredients, mauritian creole food recipes, rougaille origin, rougaille meaning, rougaille touni recipe