Aloo Palak is a healthful, gluten-free, vegan dish that comes together quickly with just a few fresh ingredients. This easy Spinach and Potato dish will steal your heart! Eat it on its own or with flatbread for a filling supper.
Recette Aloo Palak
Prep Time: 20 Mins
Cook Time: 15 Mins
Total Time: 35 Mins
- 1 pound prewashed baby spinach, roughly chopped, or 2 bunches thoroughly washed with stems removed.
- 3 medium vine tomatoes, diced
- 3 medium Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled, cleaned, and diced into 1/2 inch thick cubes
- 1 medium peeled and sliced yellow onion
- 8 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or mustard oil)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup Kashmiri chili powder
- 12/ tablespoon turmeric
- If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of water
- On medium-high heat, add the cumin seeds to the oil. Add diced onions and entire red chilies after the cumin seeds begin to change color. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onion turns somewhat brown.
- When the onion is somewhat yellow, add the garlic and ginger, coarsely diced. It simply takes a few seconds to sauté the ginger and garlic till aromatic. We don't want the garlic to brown in any way.
- Now stir in the diced tomatoes, all of the powdered spices, and season with salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the tomatoes soften.
- Once the tomatoes are tender, add the diced potatoes. Mix thoroughly to coat the potatoes with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes on low, or until potatoes are cooked. In between cooking times, uncover and examine the potatoes. If necessary, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to quicken the cooking process.
- Add all of the coarsely chopped spinach once the potatoes are soft. Allow the spinach to wilt in the pan before combining. With the cover on, the spinach begins to wilt in less than a minute.
- Uncover the pan and carefully combine everything. Increase the heat to medium and cook until all of the water from the spinach has evaporated. Depending on your stove, it takes roughly 3-5 minutes.
- Serve warm alongside dal, rice, and flatbread.