This yummy Mauritian cake is just too tasty to resist. Sweet potato, coconut, and a lot of sugar are the main ingredients! A tiny bit of bliss!
Recette Gâteau Patate
You may find this half-moon-shaped cake, a sweet treat loaded with coconut and scented with cardamom, at numerous corner streets or the many marketplaces of the island. Since I know, it has forever been the symbolic or main sweet cake shared for every Divali festival in Mauritius.
Prep. time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes (8 to 10 minutes per frying bath)
Servings: 20 Pieces
Let's see how to make these tasty Gateaux Papates!
- Sweet potatoes, 500g
- 180 g of flour
- Grated coconut, 80g (fresh if you can)
- Sugar, white, 100 grams
- 3 teaspoons powdered cardamom (2 if you grind the seeds yourself)
- Cooking oil for frying
- cold water, 5 tablespoons
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cook them in chunks for at least 20 minutes in boiling water (until they are very tender).
- Drain the bits, then mash them with a fork or puree until smooth. Cool down.
- To prepare the stuffing, combine the grated coconut, sugar, water, and cardamom in a bowl (or powdered). Keep in mind.
- To make the dough, mash the sweet potatoes with your hands until they create a smooth and soft dough, then gradually add the flour. Form a ball after at least five minutes of kneading. twenty little loaves, divided.
- Use a roller to flatten the dough to a thickness of about 2 millimeters on a surface dusted with flour. Make some circles using a bowl or spherical object (8 cm in diameter).
- Each dough circle should have a teaspoon of stuffing placed in the center of it. With a finger dipped in cold water, moisten the dough's edges. Each dough round is folded into a half-circle by pinching the edges together. By applying pressure with a fork's teeth on both sides of the liner, strengthen the "welding."
- Cook the potato cakes in heated oil in a large skillet or wok until they get a gorgeous caramel color. The potato cakes should be taken out and left to dry on paper towels. You can eat them either hot or cold (room temperature).
- P.S. We encourage you to ground the cardamom seeds from the capsules yourself. In contrast to already ground preparations, which typically let down taste buds, the fragrance will be much more potent!
- Replace the pre-grated coconut with freshly grated coconut if you have the option!
Happy Diwali Guys!!! For this day you can eat a lot of Sweets but the next day, back to workouts -_-
Related Keywords: gâteau patate mauricien, mauritian recipes, mauritian coconut cake, mauritian snacks recipes, roat recipe mauritius, mauritian marinade recipe, gato batate, gato patate