Puits D'amour is a famous and popular small tartlet that can be found in practically all patisseries on the island of Mauritius. This dish is a circular choux pastry cake with a hollow core (the well) filled with caramelized pastry cream or jam.
Recette Puit D'amour
Preparation time: 35 mins
Rest time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
To make the dough:
- 150 g softened butter (at room temperature)
- 250 g flour
To make the filling:
- 2 egg yolks
- 25 g sugar
- 40 g flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- Milk (25 cl)
- 1 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- whipped cream (15 cl)
- 2 teaspoons grated coconut
- 2 teaspoons strawberry jam
We start by making the dough: Put the flour and butter in a mixing dish and stir by hand until completely combined. Form a ball and set aside for thirty minutes to cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the filling:
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together till white. Combine flour and cornstarch, then whisk in egg yolks.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla pod split in half and the vanilla seeds retrieved. While whisking, carefully pour the milk over the egg mixture. Return to the pot and continue to mix over medium heat. If the mixture appears too thick, add a splash of milk. When the mixture begins to solidify, remove it from the fire. Set aside until the mixture cools.
- Preheat the oven to 180°F.
- Roll out the dough and cut discs larger than the tartlet molds using a bowl. Place the dough in the molds and push down until the dough clings tightly. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven when browned and set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream and combine it with the pastry cream using an electric mixer. Keep chilled.
- When the tart shells are cool enough to handle, fill them with cream. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and place a drop of strawberry jam in the center.