This method amps up the chocolate taste by including both cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Melted chocolate drizzled over the top of the bread pudding after it bakes adds an additional unique touch. The outcome is creamy, gooey, and really delicious.
Prep: 15 min
Standing Bake: 30 min.
Total Time: 45 min
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup cream, half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 slices of bread, crusts removed and cubes sliced (about 3 cups)
- Optional garnishes: Whipped cream and confectioners' sugar
- Melt chocolate in a small microwave-safe dish, stirring until smooth. Set aside after stirring in the cream.
- In a large mixing basin, combine the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla, and salt. Mix in the chocolate mixture. Toss in the bread cubes to coat. Allow for a 15-minute resting period.
- Fill 2 oiled 2-cup souffle plates halfway with the mixture. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve with a dollop of whipped cream, if preferred.