This vanilla sauce is wonderful and quite simple to prepare. It takes 5 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cool down. It only takes a few ingredients to make. Serve it with this croissant bread pudding, brioche bread pudding, or just fresh fruit.
Vanilla Sauce Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooling Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 2.25 cups
Ingredients for Vanilla Sauce
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- small pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and heavy cream until very hot but not boiling.
- While the milk and cream heat up, whisk together the egg yolks, vanilla extract, corn starch, sugar, and salt.
- Add roughly half of the heated liquid at a time to the egg yolk mixture. While adding the liquid, whisking frequently.
- Return the egg yolk liquid to the pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to a low simmer and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until thickened. The sauce will be thickened but still runny at this stage; it will thicken more while cooling and ultimately reach the desired consistency. Please keep in mind that this is a sauce, not a pudding and that it will be pourable.
- Allow it to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving, then enjoy! I prefer it somewhat warm.