What is Kadai Chicken?
There is a good probability that Kadai Chicken will be on the menu when you eat at an Indian restaurant. A few freshly ground whole spices are used to prepare this well-liked north Indian meal, which is renowned for its extraordinary flavor. This dish's flavors are unmatched and perfect when you want a distinct take on chicken curry.
This dish requires some effort, and the ingredient list may seem a little lengthy. However, when you break this down piece by piece, like I have done here for you, you'll see that it's actually rather easy. Additionally, it just takes 45 minutes to prepare the complete dish, which is ideal for special occasions.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Recipes for Chicken Kadai
- Black peppercorns, 1 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons of seeds of coriander
- Cumin seeds, 2 teaspoons
- ghee, 3 tablespoons
- 1 Bay leaf
- 4 chopped medium onions
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- minced 2-inch ginger
- 1-2 Thai bird chilies or 1 Serrano pepper, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon of Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 paprika teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Garam masala, 1 teaspoon
- 2 pounds of quartered skinless chicken thighs
- 3 cups of fresh tomatoes (approx. 3 large tomatoes pureed)
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, toast the entire spices—black peppercorns, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds—until they are fragrant. In a coffee or spice grinder, coarsely grind the spices, then set them aside.
- In a wok or Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the ghee, bay leaf, and onions. Stir-fry for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions turn golden.
- Then, add the wok's remaining spices, freshly ground spices, garlic, ginger, and Serrano pepper. After a few minutes of stirring, add the chicken.
- Add the tomato puree once the chicken has been spiced. Cook for 10 minutes with a cover on.
- Remove the top, turn the heat to high, and cook for a further 25 to 30 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the water from the tomato puree evaporates.
- Cook the tomatoes until a thin layer of oil forms on top, or until the oil separates. When the oil separates, the spices have melded and are well cooked. Additionally, it demonstrated that the surplus moisture had evaporated.
- Don't scrimp on the coriander because it makes a huge difference in the flavor of the dish.
- The ideal accompaniments for Karahi Chicken are parathas, tandoori rotis, or chapatis. The chicken is still moist and tender, and the gravy is thick and jammy. Due to their sweetness and smokiness, the onions and capsicum pieces aid in taming the spice.
Can kadai masala be prepared in advance?
You can, indeed. When stored in a cool, dry environment, this spice blend remains fresh for two to three months in airtight containers. I always double the recipe's yield and prepare a large quantity of this spice blend to utilize in future dishes.
Can I make this kadai chicken recipe with mutton instead of chicken?
Yes, you can use goat mutton (or lamb) in place of the chicken in the recipe, but keep in mind that it will take considerably longer to cook. Therefore, the cooking times for the two recipes will vary. Chicken can easily be swapped out for shrimp or vegetables like mushrooms or baby corn. Alternatively, you might prepare this curry with paneer, chickpeas, or tofu.
How can kadai chicken be made to taste smoky?
Heat a piece of charcoal until it is red hot over an open flame to give your curry a smokey flavor. Place a bowl filled with curry and hot coal in the middle of the pan. Then quickly put a lid on the pan after adding a spoonful of oil to the coal. Give it a few minutes to sit so the curry can absorb the smoke. Remove the dish containing the coal by lifting the lid. Your smoked Kadai Chicken is prepared.
How long should the chicken be marinated?
For this recipe, 30 to 40 minutes of marinating is plenty. However, if you have more time, you may marinate it for up to three or four hours.
Related Keywords: chicken karahi, kadai chicken curry, kadai chicken vs butter chicken, chicken karahi recipe, kadai chicken masala, chicken kadai vs tikka masala, kadai chicken masala powder, chicken kadai ki recipe, chicken kadai kurti, chicken kadai banane ka tarika, chicken kadai pakistani, chicken kadai kurta, chicken kadai recipe in hindi, chicken kadai recipe in malayalam, chicken kadai calories, how to make chicken kadai, white chicken kadai