How to make extra crispy chicken
Take that, KFC! This recipe for crispy fried chicken has an incredible crunch to every bite and is unbelievably juicy on the inside.
For a memorable lunch, serve this classic comfort food over some Simple Macaroni Salad, Coleslaw, or Fluffy Mashed Potatoes.
The best-fried chicken recipe my family and friends ever tried is by far this one.
It has tiny flaky breading bits that are just the proper amount of seasoned and is delightfully crispy on the outside. Not to be overlooked is the juicy, moist chicken inside. Very excellent!
Chicken marinade for frying
The first step is to marinate your chicken pieces in a fast buttermilk mixture for at least an overnight period. This is what you'll require:
- Skin-on, bone-in, Chicken Pieces: I like to combine chicken legs, thighs, breasts, and wings for this recipe.
- Buttermilk - is essential for giving the chicken a wonderful, delicate texture.
- Optional hot sauce - gives the chicken an incredible taste.
- Lightly beaten egg
- Salt is essential for making the chicken soft.
How long does the chicken need to marinate?
Put all the marinade ingredients in a bag and squeeze to thoroughly coat the contents.
Place in refrigerator for up to 24 hours (the longer the better).
The chicken will become more tender and juicy thanks to the buttermilk, and the interior will be to die for.
PRO HINT: If you marinate in a glass bowl closely covered with plastic wrap, you can avoid using a plastic bag. However, stay away from using a metal dish since this might impact how acidic the buttermilk is.
Better Seasoning Than KFC Fried Chicken!
Although KFC's fried chicken seasoning is closely guarded, I believe my Grandma finally figured it out after extensive experimentation and trial and error. IT'S EVEN WAY BETTER!
11 herbs and spices are combined to make a flavor that is an authentic KFC knockoff.
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Sweet, non-smoked paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Oregano
- Mustard Powder
- Ginger Powder
- Salt Celery
- Cayenne Pepper
What Causes The Extra Crispy Breading?
For fried chicken, you need the ideal combination of seasonings as well as flour AND cornstarch to give it that distinctive crunch.
All-purpose flour and cornstarch are combined to make a crispy, light breading that, when deep-fried, adheres to the chicken.
PRO TIP: To make those crispy bits that give the chicken extra CRUNCH in every mouthful, drizzle a dab of the buttermilk chicken marinade into the breading.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- 5 lbs. chicken pieces, bone-in, skin on (thighs, drumsticks, wings, etc)
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
For The Marinade
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
For The Breading
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp paprika, sweet
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp celery salt
- ¾ tsp ginger powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
Marinate the chicken
- In a sizable glass or plastic mixing bowl, combine and whisk the marinade ingredients. Stir to coat the chicken pieces after adding them. For 12 to 24 hours, cover with plastic wrap and chill the chicken pieces, rotating them at least once to ensure that they are evenly coated.
- When it's time to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and heat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees F in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pan.
- A cooling rack should be placed on top of a sizable baking sheet with a rim made of foil. Set aside.
- In a big shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and other seasonings together.
- Scoop off 1/4 cup of the chicken's marinade, and then add it to the breading mixture. To incorporate it and make small lumps in the batter, use clean fingertips.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, one piece at a time, and carefully shake off any extra liquid. After submerging, spin the object several times to ensure that it is completely coated. Gently press the breading into the chicken using clean hands.
- Set oven to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Only 3 or 4 pieces of coated chicken should be added to the heated oil at a time, and you should give them plenty of space so they don't contact.
- The temperature of the oil will drop after adding the chicken, so keep an eye on it and attempt to maintain it at or around 350 degrees.
- To give the breading time to adhere to the chicken, let the chicken pieces cook in the oil for at least 2 minutes before touching them. Then, if necessary, you can flip them.
- Cook the chicken for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the exterior is a deep golden brown and the interior temperature reaches 165 degrees F. (depending on the size of your chicken).
- Fresh out of the oil, place the fried chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Placement on paper towels will result in steam and sloppy breading around the chicken; avoid this at all costs.
Related Keywords: extra crispy chicken menu, how to make extra crispy chicken, how to make extra crispy chicken tenders, does kfc still have extra crispy chicken, oven fry extra crispy chicken, does kfc have extra crispy chicken, how to make extra crispy chicken wings in air fryer, how to make kfc extra crispy chicken, copycat kfc extra crispy chicken, baked extra crispy chicken wings