Try out this quick and easy chicken burrito 'fakeaway' for two. The spicy Mexican chicken and pepper mixture cooks for 20 minutes, and then you can customize your tortilla wraps with optional toppings like rice and black beans, sour cream, grated cheese, and crisp lettuce.
Ingredients for Chicken Burritos:
- 1 pound boneless chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Spanish rice, either handmade or from a packaged combination (You can avoid this for simpler Burritos)
- 1 drained and rinsed 15-ounce can of black beans (You can avoid this for simpler Burritos)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 8-inch flour, whole wheat, or gluten-free tortillas
- Season the chicken with chili powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Heat the olive oil and chicken in a large pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 7 minutes, or until it is tender. Remove from the pan and set aside for 5 minutes on a chopping board. Then cut into strips.
- Meanwhile, cook your Spanish rice according to the package directions. Allow it to cool. (If you do not have Spanish rice, just skip it)
- Drain and rinse black beans in a fine-mesh strainer until the rinse water flows clear. Set aside and let drip until almost dry.
- Make your burritos. To each tortilla, add 3 tablespoons of Spanish rice, 4-5 pieces of chicken, 2 tablespoons of black beans, and around 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Pull in either end of the tortilla and roll it into burritos.
MAKE IT RIGHT NOW
PAN: Apply a thin layer of soft butter to the exterior of the tortilla. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden, in a big pan over medium-high heat, then turn and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until golden.
OVEN: Wrap the tortilla in foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
MICROWAVE: Wrap the burrito in a damp paper towel and place it in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until cooked through.
STORE FOR LATER
Place uncooked chicken burritos in a gallon freezer-safe bag, seal, and freeze, eliminating as much air as possible. If you plan on pulling burritos from the freezer individually for lunches or on the road, wrap each in foil first and then place them in a bag to prevent them from sticking together.
COOK FROM THE FREEZER
OVEN: Take out of the freezer. Bake the burrito covered in foil for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
MICROWAVE: Remove the foil and cover the frozen burrito in a damp paper towel. Cook on High for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Make these chicken burritos "wet" by pouring a can of red or green enchilada sauce over a pan of burritos, topping with more shredded cheddar cheese, and baking at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- This dish benefits from the addition of sautéed onions and bell peppers, which provide flavor and depth. Cook the chopped onions and peppers in a separate skillet with olive oil until the vegetables are transparent, then add them to the burritos with the chicken.
- For this dish, use burrito-sized (or bigger) tortillas. A least 8-inch tortillas should be used.
- Before serving, split the prepared burritos in half with a sharp bread knife for little hands (or small appetites). You may also use this recipe with smaller tortillas to make mini-burritos. Also delicious as an appetizer!
Other Chicken Recipes you will love to try: