This popular street snack is made by dipping bread slices in batter and frying them. Crispy on the outside but soft on the inside, serve with chutney or hot sauce.
- 5 slices of bread (can use either white or whole wheat bread)
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 cups regular flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate
- 1/2 teaspoon orange food color
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon spring onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Water with salt to taste Oil for deep frying
- Combine gram flour, all-purpose flour, bicarbonate, food coloring, garlic and ginger paste, spring onion, coriander leaves, salt, and gradually add water to make a thick batter.
- Cut the bread into appropriate size slices.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil.
- Take one slice of bread and dip it in the batter before placing it in the frying pan.
- Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Cook both sides on medium heat until light brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.