A traditional comfort dish of the South is country fried chicken and gravy. A delicious homemade gravy is slathered over crispy-coated chicken. Simple and delectable!
Country Fried Chicken
Sometimes the simplest meals are the most reassuring, and this straightforward country fried chicken is the epitome of cozy comfort food!
A rich, mildly spicy sauce is poured over the chicken breast after it has been pan-fried to the optimum crispness and coated in a buttermilk batter. It's a delicious chicken supper that will delight both children and adults.
Easy to prepare using common household items When you want a quick and delicious weeknight meal, this is a lifesaver!
Why You'll Love This Recipe for Chicken with Gravy:
- Crispy: These stovetop-fried chicken breasts have a fantastic crunch and a golden brown color.
- Juicy: Buttermilk keeps the breast moist and soft by sealing in all the liquids, making it juicy.
- Easy Homemade Gravy: The tasty homemade gravy is simple to prepare. With some chili flakes, we like to give it a little extra heat.
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Total Time: 1 hr 5 min
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk, see notes for substitutions
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs, plain or Italian
- 2 ½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Each chicken breast should be wrapped with Saran wrap. Use a meat tenderizer to flatten and roughly 1/2 inch thicken the chicken.
- Dry the chicken entirely with a towel. Buttermilk, salt, and whisked eggs should all be combined. Add the chicken and let it marinate for one to two hours (or overnight). It will become more delicate the longer it marinates.
- Before frying, allow the chicken to remain at room temperature for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add the breading ingredients to the chicken that has been marinated. Until it is entirely dry and coated, flip it over several times and work the breading into all of the nooks and crevices. Don't bread the chicken in its entirety at once. Each item should be ready just before you start to fry it.
- Heat a skillet to 350° and add enough oil to cover the chicken by half. If at all feasible, cook your food in a cast iron skillet since it evenly distributes heat.
- Delicately flip the chicken with a thin spatula once the outside edges have nicely browned up after being carefully added and cooked for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Once both sides are golden brown, carefully remove them to a wire cooling rack and let any remaining oil drip out the bottom. By doing this, the bottom is kept from getting wet.
- Serve with cornbread, mashed potatoes, and brown or chicken gravy after repeating all the chicken breasts.
Related Keywords: country fried chicken recipes, country fried chicken steak, country fried chicken recipe easy, country fried chicken restaurant, country fried chicken steak recipe